How to Calculate Your Target Heart Rate
From your Weight Loss Guide
Here's the simplest way to calculate your target heart rate that takes your fitness into account.
- First thing in the morning, while still in bed, calculate your heart rate (HR).
- Subtract your age in years from 220 to get you standard maximal HR.
- Subtract the your morning HR from your standard maximal HR.
- Multiply the result of step 3 by 0.60.
- Multiply the result of step 3 by 0.70.
- Add your morning HR to the result of step 4.
- Add your morning HR to the result of step 5.
- Your target HR training zone is between the two results of steps 6 and 7.
- You should be warmed up and breathing heavier, but still able to talk without pauses while working out within your target zone.
- If your fitness level is good or excellent, include exercising at 80 percent of your maximal HR for at least 20 minutes at least 3 times a week.
- To ensure the sufficient level of your resting metabolism, include strength-training exercises for at least 20 minutes at least 3 times a week.
More How To's from your Guide to Weight Loss