1. Health

Malia Frey

Adele’s Body Image: A Healthy Lesson for Dieters?

By February 14, 2012

AdeleGrammy winner Adele is making news for more than her stellar voice. The songstress has an upcoming interview about her body image with Anderson Cooper on CBS' 60 Minutes.  She reportedly explains to Cooper that even though her weight has been criticized in the media, she feels no pressure to be skinny and is happy with the way that she looks.

Body Image and Weight Loss

While Adele may not be interested in losing weight, those who are may want to take a lesson from her.  According to research, dieters with a healthy body image are more likely to be successful at weight loss.  Negative emotions that stem from lack of confidence and embarrassment can prevent some overweight people from dieting or starting an exercise program.

In a study published in Body Image, An International Journal of Research, researchers in Portugal found that when obese women became more satisfied with their size, they were able to successfully lose weight.  In addition, study authors found that the improvement in body image and improved self-confidence was also a predictor of long-term weight loss success.

How to Improve Your Body Image

Emotional barriers to weight loss are not impossible to overcome.  A qualified therapist may be able to help you to work through feelings that stand in the way of losing weight.  If you don't have access to therapy, simple motivational techniques such as journaling and positive self-talk can also be effective.

If, like Adele, there are people around you who speak poorly about your size or contribute to your negative environment, learn to speak up and ask for the emotional support that you need.  Even if the negative comments don't stop, the confidence you gain from standing up for yourself can have a positive impact on your self-image and possibly on your ability to lose weight.

Comments
February 15, 2012 at 12:18 am
(1) celia says:

Adele shouldn’t be questioned about her weight or what you think her body image is. She may not be a size 2 but she has a healthy nice figure and knows how to dress herself in a feminine way, not cheap or sullied. She dresses very vintage, I love it! She is a secure, gifted exceedingly talented woman! Her voice is beautiful! Why does it matter? her weight or body? Look beyond this superficial thought and see her true essence: She is unpretentious and wonderful to listen to. Ask yourself: How good you feel as you listen to her words and lovely voice as her songs serenade you, not her figure, not her weight, but her true beauty and voice. If you can’t see this, it’s your loss of understanding a real person.

February 16, 2012 at 1:14 am
(2) Charles Mundi says:

I like the way this article talks about the “body image”. However, I don’t think you need a therapist to lose weight. You can be your own therapist. The hard thing to do is start, but once you do, and see the pounds drop off, you will be able to program your mind to tell your body how great things are. I really enjoyed this article, because it reminded me so much of my mind set when I lost about 70 pounds.

February 16, 2012 at 10:15 am
(3) weightloss says:

Great comment Charles! And I agree that you don’t necessarily need a therapist but sometimes asking for help is a good thing. In some cases, getting assistance is the most courageous thing you can do for your health. But if you can do it on your own, by all means, go for it!

February 20, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(4) Sheri says:

What a beautiful spirit and soul Adele is! She is soooo talented that she doesn’t need an entourage on stage with her to make her look good. She is all you get and then some! What a beautiful attitude about her body image she has…as long as we are healthy and feel beautiful in our own body that is all that matters! Some of us women are more voluptuous than others and we need to own it….!

February 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm
(5) Nancy says:

While watching the Grammys the other night, I truly enjoyed hearing Adele sing, not only listening to her voice, but the words to her songs are just brilliant! I admire any singer who pens their own music!

As far as weight goes, who cares!?! Adele is far more “normal” than any size 0 or 2 singer out there who binges and purges, all for the sake of appearances. To those of you who have the ‘gift’ of being slender, good for you. To those of you who ‘battle’ weight gain, give yourself a break. If you are comfortable in your own skin, then who is to say your are overweight or obese and must lose weight. Pfffffgh, I say to judgemental, superficial people.

Lastly, whenenever I hear people talking of so-and-so’s weight “problem” or whatever, I am reminded of the absolute best bumper sticker I’ve ever seen. It said:
I MAY BE FAT, BUT YOU ARE UGLY AND AT LEAST I CAN DIET!!!
So there!
Good article! Adele Rocks!

February 21, 2012 at 10:58 am
(6) Shawn says:

I like your post: While Adele may not be interested in losing weight, those who are may want to take a lesson from her. According to research, dieters with a healthy body image are more likely to be successful at weight loss. this words touch me ;)

February 23, 2012 at 2:50 am
(7) Ray B says:

I like what you all have posted! It is true Adele not only has a beautiful voice she is a beautiful person to. No matter what when trying to lose weight you must have a positive attitude to reach your goals. More power to Adele!!!!!